Saturday, November 8, 2008

Praying for Our Children, The Future

I love this idea by Angie to pray for our children, called 7X7 Seven Prayers for a Day. I pray for my boys everyday but not as specific as this. I'm so excited because this is something that is very important to me. I believe in the power of prayer, especially in the power of a praying mama! I hope that you would join us in this powerful and essential endeavor, praying for our children, the future. Here's the specifics or you can also link on her name above to see her post about this:


The other day I came across a verse that God used to prompt me to write this post. If you are a mom (or have someone else you want to pray for specifically), I hope you will join me as I do this for the next 7 days. It struck me that I need reminders during the day to be praying over my girls, and I decided to choose 7 events in a day that would remind me to do so. Then, I chose verses that had to do with that time of the day (for example: as my kids are getting dressed in the morning) and then I put them on notecards.


Here are the events and verses I chose:

1. When they wake up: "Let the morning bring (child's name) word of your unfailing love, for she has put her trust in You. Show (her/him) the way (she/he) should go, for to you (he/she) lifts up her soul." (Adapted from Psalm 143:8)

2. When they are getting dressed: "Therefore, as God's chosen child, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Lord, help (him/her) bear with others and forgive whatever grievances (he/she) has against others. Help (him/her) forgive as the Lord forgave (him/her). And over all these virtues, help (him/her) put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Adapted from Colossians 3:12-14)

3. While they are eating: "Teach (child's name) the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Teach (him/her) that (he/she) can do everything through him who gives (him/her) strength." (Adapted from Philippians 4:12-13)

4. When they go out of the house: "(Name of child), do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Adapted from Romans 12:2)

5. While they are taking a bath: Lord, give (name of child) clean hands and a pure heart, and let (him/her) not lift (his/her) soul to an idol or swear by what is false. Let (him/her) receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God (his/her) Savior. Let (him/her) be part of the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. (Adapted from Psalm 24:4-6)

6. When they are going to bed: "The Lord Your God is with you; he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, be will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

7. While they are sleeping: "I pray that (name of child) will do everything without complaining or arguing, so that he/she may become blameless and pure, a child of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which he/she shines like a star in the universe as he/she holds out the word of life-in order that he/she may boast on the day of Christ that he/she did not run or labor for nothing." (Adapted from Philippians 2:14-16)


I feel like God has been reminding me more and more lately that I need to live my life in prayer. For my children, husband, family, friends, country, those in need, etc., etc. As a mother, it has been so pivotal for my children to hear me praying out loud over them, and I want to commit to do this every day (seven times a day!) for the next week. If you care to join me, just copy these verses onto index cards

Let me know if you decide to join me, and please keep me posted (either by comments or emails) if God reveals anything to you/your children this week.

Have a great (and prayer-filled!) week. And may God bless you and your babies richly.


7 comments:

Emily said...

I have to comment, and let you know how much I LOVE your blog! =) And here's the other thing ... I love the music that you have, and many mornings I open your blog so that we can enjoy the tunes throughout our living room. SO, thank you!

maryanne420 said...

hi emily,

thanks for the compliment and i'm so glad that you love my music choice. i love listening to praise and worship music, and so do my boys. i tried to click on your name but it says that you don't have a profile. thank you for visiting my blog.

mary anne

Stephanie said...

Hey girl! I am doing a Blog Bible Study and so hope you can do it with me!! I know the time difference may be tricky but I have a girl from Seattle doing it!?!?
You will like it and I think you will be able to use it with other girls where you are.
Steph

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Maryanne,

I have to agree with Emily, that music is annointed. It is SO uplifting. Thank you sweetly for linking us to it. And today's post made me cry (in a good way) because it is so true. A friend of mine told me that she even used to pray all the time for her children's spouses-to-be when her children were babies, and you know what? They have wonderful spouses now! Prayer works wonders! :-)

I also read your comment about my non-existent blog which some day I hope will exist. Maybe after Christmas if not before. Please know I will happily come here and let you know. I hope I have something worthy to share... maybe a little humor, a snippet of wisdom, or a bit of decorating fun to impart.

This week I've been trying to make an effort to dwell on those things that are lovely, and what is more lovely than the love of Jesus? This song is one good way to dwell on that, and it has become one of my favorites from listening to your blog. It transports you right up to His throne room.

I've also been trying to dwell on the positives of the election and stay focussed on that. And there are positives, the number one positive being the fact that we have our first African American president. That means so much to so many people and effectively shatters the glass ceiling in this country. It's a big, big moment, and one that has been a long time coming.

My husband and I had a long discussion about this, and we believe he will want to go down in history as being not just a good president but a great one. So I'm hoping and praying that he will be more moderate in his dealings as he tries to embrace all Americans in an effort to get us out of the economic quagmire in which America has found itself. The economy seems to be the number one thing on most Americans' minds from the exit polls.

But whatever happens on the political front, we serve the King of Kings and Lord of Lords to whom we owe all glory and honor and praise! God inhabits the praises of His people, and we need to thank and praise Him all day long.

I try to stay in a constant state of prayer (or communion) with God. I want Him in my life. I couldn't live without Him. And I need His forgiveness as much as His love because I miss the mark and am hard on myself. But He is so good and so loving, so faithful to forgive and to shelter us close to His heart. Sweetness... thy name is Jesus!

Here's wishing you a blessed and happy day with all three of your precious men. Hug your little men, and hug your big one even tighter!

XO,

Sheila

P.S. One more thing, Maryanne. Don't think we older girls can't learn a lot from you younger ones. It's such a pleasure to read your blogs and see you loving your families the way God intends for you to do. It's an inspiration to watch. :-)

Mommyluann said...

I loved this post. I am friends with Bethanne..I found your site from her blog.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a great idea! I'm going to copy down these verses!!

Thank you also for your prayer for my family during the loss of our grandfather. It really means so much to me!! :)

Blessings,
Stacey

In His Army said...

I found your blog through Angie Smith's...I enjoyed reading some of your posts and will keep reading if that's okay!! If you don't mind, email me at mmj04@alltel.net, I had an email that I would like to share with you regarding the election that was encouraging to me!