Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Family Day at the Aquarium of the Pacific

We had such a fun day yesterday at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach!  I'd been fighting this cold for the last 2 weeks but I do believe that being close to the ocean and smelling the fresh, clean air did wonders for me as I feel a ton better now!

WARNING:  TONS OF PHOTOS AHEAD!


Family Picture-It's so hard to have a family picture together when I'm either taking the pictures or Leo is so when this nice woman agreed to, we were so grateful.  By the way, if you're wondering why the baby only has a few pictures on this post, it's because he slept most of the time we were there.  But when he woke up, it was priceless to see the look of amazement on his face!


LJ was so convinced that this is Nemo and his friends!

This was so wonderful to see in person.  The colors are so vivid!  Lucas' eyes were open so wide.  It's amazing and inspiring to see God's creation, big and small right in front of you.



When LJ saw this jelly fish exhibit, he remembered the Nemo movie and was so hesitant to come close to it.  I was very impressed with his memory.


It took a while before LJ warmed up to touching the starfish and stingrays.  He was afraid in the beginning but when he saw the other children laughing and giggling, and with his dad's coaxing, he finally tried it and loved it!



Another creature that LJ was afraid to touch but finally did and had fun with!


See the smile on his face.  I loved watching him take all of it in!

This was during the shark feeding!  LJ was so amazed with their teeth, their many teeth.

This was kind of creepy that these two were having fun, eating goldfish of all snacks, while they have sharks in the background.






LJ loved the sea lions!  They were so fun to watch, especially when they started fighting over a ball.


This is during the sea bass feeding!  LJ wanted to join that diver and we had to explain to him that he had to go to a special school first to learn to go into the deep ocean.






LJ thought that these stingrays were smiling at him so I had to take pictures of them like this.



I so enjoyed watching my son soak this all in and explaining to him that everything on this earth, all creatures were created by our Sovereign God, even the "mean" sharks (as he says)!


PSALM 104:24-25

How many are your works, O Lord!
In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.
There is the sea, vast and spacious, 
teeming with creatures beyond
number--
living things both large and small.

6 comments:

Patricia said...

oooh nice...i've never been and i really wanna take chino. how much are the tickets?!?!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i love all the pics! my middle girlies were strewn around the laptop yelling, "stop. i want to see that fish again! shark" and all kinds of other stuff! so stinking cute!

my fav...dad and the boy eating godfish in front of the shark...your hubs and mine might be long lost brothers!

looks like you guys had a blast...i wanna go too!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I am so glad you shared these great pictures with us! Don't you just love their sense of wonder at things like this and their imaginations. I loved that he thought the stingrays were smiling at him. LOL! How precious! Looks like you had a great family day, Mary Anne, and your big boy Leo looked like he was having as much fun as LJ! :-)

Love to you and thanks for sharing this with us. Great way to start my day with smiles...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mrs. Davison said...

I love the Aquarium, too. If I go with my own children or if I go with my 2nd grade class I so enjoy how the kids respond. They truly appreciate the beauty of God's creations. Thanks for displaying your pictures. It's like I went along with you.

Heathahlee said...

My Kiddo would think he had died and gone to heaven at an aquarium! I went to Nashville this weekend and ate at the Aquarium Restaurant which has a huge tank in the middle of the restaurant. It has rays, sharks, and all sorts of sea creatures...I kept thinking "Kiddo would LOVE this! : ) The pictures of the boys are so cute!

In His Army said...

What a neat post-I loved the pictures!!