Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Getting Back in the Word

Okay, so my goal this summer is to just devour the word of God like I used to (BC=Before Children). As I posted on my very first entry, I used to just curl up and read my bible like a good novel, unable to put it down. Kudos to all of you who have kids, and also to those who don't, who feed yourselves with the word of God on a regular basis. I read my last post and felt very convicted as I wrote on there how busy my summer is turning out to be with events and parties to go to every week it seems like. But no matter what, those things get done! Well, I need to be just as vigilant when it comes to my word time, even more.

This morning, I meditated on Psalm 34:15-22.

5 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry; 16 the face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. 17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. 18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. 19 A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; 20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken. 21 Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. 22 The Lord redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.

It really spoke to me this morning. The women at my church are doing the book "Captivating" by Stasi Eldredge. How appropriate this verse is to where we are in the book. We're at the part where we share our wounds. What a source of comfort it is to know that God is attentive to our cries, that he delivers us from ALL of our troubles, that he has a special place in his heart for the brokenhearted and crushed in spirit. I think about the wounds that we all shared with each other last week. It is so comforting to know that we exposed those wounds, not to dwell in them, but for God to do his work, heal our hearts and fix the wounds.

No comments: