Sunday, September 7, 2008

Grandma Came to Visit!

We had such a wonderful time with my mom this week. My brother, Danny, was kind enough to fly her out so they can spend time with us. I was so blessed to see my mom with her grandchildren. She doted on them and just filled them with lots of hugs and kisses. The baby just loved the attention Grandma gave him and LJ just showed off all the new things he's learned, like jumping from one couch to the other with a 3 feet gap, playing make-believe baseball with his train tracks as the bat and just giving Grandma his wet, sloppy kisses. Lucas giggled endlessly and showed off his new tricks of turning from side to side and sitting up assisted.
















Fashion District

Of course, my mom and I had to do some shopping. I brought her to the Fashion District in Downtown LA. If you guys have never been, it's an experience. If any of you are coming out to Los Angeles, make sure that you include it as part of the itinerary. Here's the information about Fashion District:

Welcome to the LA Fashion District, located in downtown Los Angeles. The LA Fashion District spans 90 blocks and is the hub of the apparel industry on the West Coast. Retailers, wholesale buyers, designers, stylists, students, shoppers and residents all converge here. Whether you're a wholesale buyer reviewing the latest collections in the District's designer showrooms, or a shopper on the prowl for a bargain - it's all here: apparel and accessories for the entire family, textiles, flowers, even live/work lofts.

Those of you who love fabrics/textiles, this is fabric heaven. My mom and I couldn't walk anymore. The textile area was 4 blocks big and has over 200 stores to choose fabric from. The price ranges from .99 cents to hundreds of thousands of dollars per yard. Thank God I was disciplined that I didn't do so much damage. There were quite a few stores that had 99 cents/yard sale for every single fabric they had.

We walked away with mom buying 22 yards of Silk Dupioni in Wheat just like the ones at Pottery Barn but for only $4/yard after haggling.


I walked away with these. The red with tree print and the stripes were both 99 cents per yard. The toile print was $4/yard.

5 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Wow! Great deal on that silk! I am so jealous. I'd LOVE to go shopping in LA. I am even further north than you lived. I'm in a little town called Ukiah, which is about two hours north of San Francisco, in Mendocino County. There is NO shopping here. I have to drive an hour just to find a Macy's. It's so depressing. I actually grew up in So Cal (in Orange County), so I like visiting. Your shopping story makes me miss it soooo much! All my family is gone from there, but my husband has some family there.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a deal you got on your fabrics! It's hard to believe you got them for 99 cents a yard! That just blows me away. God is a good shopping partner, huh? :-D

Sheila

Heathahlee said...

Okay, I am SO adding you to my blog list. The red toile did it for me. Not to mention "Worthy Is the Lamb" and all the other WONDERFUL songs on your playlist. We sing "Made Me Glad" at church and it never gets old! You have a beautiful blog!

Gramma 2 Many said...

I love love love fabric!!
I did not know that about the fashion district. I go to LA about every other year, but have never gone shopping. Maybe I can sneak it in when I go down next summer. It will be my annual grand's birthday trip to Disneyland. I am sure I can find time for a trip to get fabric:}

MaricrisG said...

Hey do you happen to be a filipina? You and your mom sure looks like one. I'm a filipina too! I'm proud when I see one even here online. They are hard to come by in Charlotte NC. Well, I found you from BATW. :)