Tuesday, July 15, 2008

God First

I will sing of the Lord's great love forever;
with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all
generations.
I will declare that your love stands firm
forever,
that you established your faithfulness
in heaven itself.
You said, "I have made a covenant with
my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant,
I will establish your line forever
and make your throne firm through
all generations.

Psalm 89:1-4

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Lord Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young--
a place near your altar,
O Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you. Selah
Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
Hear my prayer, O Lord God Almighty;
listen to me, O God of Jacob. Selah
Look upon our shield, O God;
look with favor on your anointed one.
Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.

Psalm 84

I meditated on these two passages this morning. I love reading the Psalms in the bible because it really reflects what I want to say to God. It calms me and truly ministers to me. I've had a very busy week last week and this week is looking to be another busy one. Reading Psalm 84 summed up how I feel inside. Turmoils may be going on around me, but envisioning how lovely the courts of the Lord is, gives me peace. I am guilty of getting caught up in what's going on in my life that I overlook to give my best to God FIRST. I am so thankful that I made the decision to start this blog. Reading what I've written down enables me to see where my focus has been lately. I've also been reflecting a lot on what I devote my time to. Does God truly come first in my life? I've realized that it's so easy for us to schedule things we think are important like working out, going out with friends, mommy and me play dates but yet when it comes to devoting time for God, we give him our left overs. I prayed this morning for time of refreshing, for the Holy Spirit to really flow into my life. One thing is for sure--I need to really focus on my alone time with God. All the things I hope to accomplish, especially in this city, will not come to pass if I allow other things and other people to get my focus off of God first.

I want to thank those of you who have been praying for my mom's health. She has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering at home. I am so blessed to have fantastic friends who have been my source of strength during tough times. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

Also, my friend Joanie just informed me that she attempted to post a comment here but was unable to. The reason why was that you needed to have an account. So that's why most of you had been emailing me! I didn't know that.







2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You can definitely have a link to my blog on yours! I will add yours to mine.
I am so glad you come to my blog and that you have started one too.

Unknown said...

Mary Anne, I'm so sorry I didn't realize your mom was in the hospital. I hope she is doing better. Ethan and I missed you today! Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you.