Wednesday, August 6, 2008

We are Called to Shine


You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.
No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.
~Matthew 5:14-16


I'd been really enjoying reading the book of Matthew. We're actually doing an in depth study of the Sermon on the Mount at our church. Our pastors are doing excellent jobs of preaching about how to apply it in our lives (how to love God, love others and love life). When I came across this verse, it really made me think about what it truly means to me. As a believer and follower of Jesus, we ARE called to shine like a light because Jesus is light. Living in Los Angeles, it's so easy to lose sight of what's really important, living a life that glorifies God. In this city, so many people are involved with superficial things, getting the latest, greatest and biggest (biggest house, latest technology, greatest accomplishments) that glorifies themselves. There's so many people in this city that call themselves Christians but when you examine their lives, there's really no fruit of it at all. They don't place value on the sacredness of marriage. Their children are disrespectful, talking back to adults or talking to their parents as though they're the adults. Billboards for strip bars and adult venues are rampant. For the most part, people live fast, hurried lives, lives that are empty and always searching for something to fill it.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of great things about this city, also. And no, it's not just the weather. There's also plenty of people who are truly living their lives honoring and glorifying God. I guess I felt the need to mention the flaws first because they're what made me realize what the verse I mentioned above is truly all about.

As a Christian, I AM called to be light in this city. I know what God has done for me. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16. Everyday, I encounter people who are hurting, lost and in need of love. I was the same way before I gave my life to God- hurting, lost and in need of love. Growing up, there really was no stability in my life as far as a father figure. Because of this, I had many fears and doubts when it comes to men and marriage. But I learned that I have a heavenly Father who loves me, cherishes me, and reassures me. I never have to wonder about his truth for my life. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.
Because of this truth, I'm called to share this good news to as many people as I can through the way I live my life, the way I love my husband, the way I raise my children and what I place importance on. I simply can't and I choose not to hide this truth.

Lord, I pray that you use me to shine my light on this city, to people I encounter everyday. Let my deeds shine out for all to see not for my glory but for your glory.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think your heart for Jesus and others is so beautiful. I am so glad blogging brought us into each other's lives. I just wish we lived closer. :(
I need your email address when you get a chance so I can send you homeschool info when I get it.
tsblackiston@comcast.net

Love your blog!!

Kimba said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. The best part of blogging for me is making connections with other women who love our Lord.

I have two boys also. 4-1/2 and almost 2. I share your sentiments about how quickly they grow up. The individual days can be long with little children. But suddenly you realize an entire year has passed and they've changed so much.

I love this post and I'm so touched by your passion for Christ and heart for others who are hurting. Like you, I spent many years hurting before I accepted and embraced the love of Christ. I desperately pray that my children won't have to walk that sort of path.

Thanks for sharing your heart.